Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Little Sneaks and Magic Candy

For the past 3 years our family has this silly little tradition... we sneak around the neighborhood at the beginning of October and "BOO" people. Daphne really gets into the sneaky part of it. We tiptoe up to someone's door and then we carefully place the treats down. Then we ring the doorbell and bolt for the getaway car. Seriously, she thinks being sneaky is one of the most fun things to do. Ever. We even sing the Laurie Berkner song "I'm a Little Sneak" because it helps pump us up.

This year was even cooler than the past 2 years though. Apparently we were giving away magic candy because we created new relationships with our neighbors by boo-ing them. I'm not kidding. Some of our neighbors have 3 kids and none of them have ever spoken to us. But they boo-ed us back the very next day and they were so cute at the bus stop. They could hardly stand still - they were looking at us all trying to be sly but they had the cutest, biggest smiles on their faces. It was adorable. And now every time we walk by their house, the kids wave and say 'hi.' (They were pretty clever when they spooked us too, they gave us some fake lottery tickets that tricked us into thinking we won $5000! I was pretty impressed and I might have to try those next year.) We spooked 3 other families too and I'm not kidding, it's crazy, but because we did this silly little trick and handed out the magic candy, we have all these new friends. I think it's great.

So if you need to reach out to your neighbors but you're not sure what to do, give them candy!!

Here's a link where you can find the poem and a BOO picture if you want to try this too:
BOO!!

No comments: